Welcome
Welcome to physicsdiscussionforum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Is what Tesla observed real?

Is what Tesla observed real?

Postby Lindat123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Tesla, the inventor, had an amazing discovery through observation. That is, all of our movements appear to come from the will (choice) but in fact actually are "forced" from the outside environment. He sated to the effect "Our bodies are like corks about the sea".

He, as well as I, believe this truth is of great importance to humanity. He urged study into it and I'm trying to do so but can observe what is really happening. I see glimpses of it from time to time. I believe it is real. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject?
Lindat123

Re: Is what Tesla observed real?

Postby Good Elf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:49 am

Hi Lindat123,
Lindat123 wrote:Tesla, the inventor, had an amazing discovery through observation. That is, all of our movements appear to come from the will (choice) but in fact actually are "forced" from the outside environment. He stated to the effect "Our bodies are like corks about the sea".

He, as well as I, believe this truth is of great importance to humanity. He urged study into it and I'm trying to do so but can observe what is really happening. I see glimpses of it from time to time. I believe it is real. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject?
Tesla was a visionary. Whatever he tapped into, it wasn't simple human fantasy because he was a very practical person. His thousands of patents attest to that. Unfortunately sometimes our minds are tethered in the past and we can resist the future. Tesla was not a supporter of Einstein's Ideas on Relativity and I am convinced he was also not very comfortable with quantum theory. In the end his views may win out or perhaps not... it really does not matter. We are captives of the time and place we are born in. His time and place was the latter part of the 19th Century. You can learn a lot about Tesla from his own words in the online free book My Inventions by Nikola Tesla. Another account of this marvelous ability of his can be found in Harold Byers account: The Miracle Mind of Nikola Tesla -J Harold Byers. That might be enough for you but both of these are not a modern account of this prodigy as indicated in the light of most recent science and through the ideas of quantum theory. So I have an alternative version. Beware this is speculation (as it all must be).

I accept the Two State Vector Formulation of quantum theory, this means that while we remain causal creatures living our lives in what appears to be a random Universe, we are being guided by some final destination state of our individual destinies and the destination state of the entire Universe. The Universe is alive because we are alive and we are part of the Universe and entangled with it's destiny. At the same time this destination state has a hypothetical external observer which determines/chooses from all those possible outcomes as a infinite set of overlapping quantum states in parallel. IMHO it is not a supreme being in a biblical sense. It is a way found and a single path through the "thicket" of our actions, this is the infinite superposition of states in the universe wide quantum wave function. Tesla may have found a way to become that external observer, and saw in his highly visionary way, what may lay ahead for him. He was quite explicit in his autobiography.

Many paths along our lifetime allotted to us, but each of them very narrow and leading to single outcomes chosen from an attractive and beguiling banquet of many individual short term yet gratifying outcomes of life. The full spectrum of all those hidden Schrodinger Cat Quantum States are like tiny individual branches in an infinitely branching quantum wave function all in superposition... many people call these outcomes Everett States. Their ultimate reality of single quantum events starts at the quantum level, but as their numbers mount up, they ultimately have real world outcomes. Depending on who is the observer, the position of the individual observers in both time and space can see only one of these branches at a time. Around him are arrayed the other outcomes many others are taking as seen from his point of view, but they are not on his personalized path, the individual chooses every time. All of these events strung along in space and time make up our individual histories. For any particular outcome that this hypothetical external observer wishes to observe (through a deliberate and personal choice), there is a unique path that must be followed to attain ones individual goals. Those paths are not easy choices,for example... given no intelligent guidance water will run downhill and be wasted. Given the proper guidance it can be dammed up and stored as water or, through it's falling, become harnessed as electric energy... Tesla knew this with his designs and the building of a turbine powerhouse at Niagara Falls, and with the help of his friend George Westinghouse, he brought a new form of energy to everyone in the World. However for every George Westinghouse there are many John Pierpont Morgan's waiting to trap the unwary. Their "dreams" of "power" do not necessarily coincide with those of the idealist.

I think Tesla chose a path forward that led to his goals... some of them... this path is very narrow... he needed to be doing ALL the things that led him along it. If Tesla were alive today I believe his "condition" we would now describe him a high performing autistic savant, many scientists do have glimmerings of this "condition" it is also called Asperger's Syndrome. For many people this would be a disadvantage in life. For Tesla, he "lucked out" and found his calling in Physics, one of the few places such mental single-mindedness is considered a blessing and not a curse. There is a little "wiggle room" along a chosen path in our lives, but every little "wiggle" that Tesla took mindlessly, took him ever so slightly off that narrow path in the true quantum sense, his destination state altered, those small deviations, course corrections, altered his final trajectory towards his goals. It is easier to attain goals if they are closer to you on that path than if they are more further away. Tesla achieved many of his earlier goals. In later life Tesla did lose his way a bit. Tesla saw his goals in some prophetic sense, chose them, deliberately set out to tread a path towards them. He found that in doing so there was little or no extra free will left to pick and choose.... those other choices would lead him away from his path... his personal quantum history. It is always a straight and narrow path towards ones goals both in the quantum Universe and in the Classical Universe... and we "become" a product of those choices we make along it... embittered and greedy or enlightened and happy, or a bit of both, yet highly constrained in both cases by what we pick as our goals, it is as if there are no real easy choices, once you have chosen your way in life. Without those constraining choices we all become "spent" like the water flowing down the hill into the sea. In a number of lifetimes, only one or two individuals like Tesla come along, we are all indebted to his sacrifices so that we may all engage in his wonderful vision for the future. Lets not spoil it for him... right?

Cheers
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle
Good Elf

Postby Lindat123 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:49 am

Thank you for your reply. In Tesla's writings he clearly states that he observed that all man's actions are not a choice from within (the will) but forced from without (the environment "like corks on the sea"). I believe this is an idea comparable, but infinitely more vital, than at one time the earth was thought to be the center of the universe.

I think though while only known by a few it should be made more public and studied intensely. The benefits to mankind are incalculable. I know the idea sounds crack-pot but just in every day happening you see it. For example, your phone rings. You reach for your phone. The physical reaching was not because you wanted to but because you were forced to by the ringing. Everything works like this in the world. Well, maybe I'm not giving the best example because I do not fully see it but there is something there.

Any ideas to further the thought would be appreciated.
Lindat123

Postby Good Elf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Lindat123 wrote:I know the idea sounds crack-pot but just in every day happening you see it. For example, your phone rings. You reach for your phone. The physical reaching was not because you wanted to but because you were forced to by the ringing. Everything works like this in the world. Well, maybe I'm not giving the best example because I do not fully see it but there is something there.

Any ideas to further the thought would be appreciated.
Waxing philosophical... in a nutshell it is because of global quantum entanglement... everything is connected instantly to everything else. Every electron is connected to every other electron, and every proton is connected to every other proton, ditto neutrons, and all the photons are brought in to being and annihilated due to our selective interaction with everything around us. Everything are connected through their quantum states in various quantum phases of collective intermixing.

Events are interconnected all across the Universe so the information content of the Universe is a lot lower than what you may imagine or calculate it if based on the idea that everything has an independent actions according to the proposal of "free will". The atoms in an iceberg all move with one "mind", the structure of atoms in a crystal have a single general description, the motion of entire planets are defined by a simple equation of motion. We do not need to calculate the actions of every atom in the Universe to understand what that Universe is going to be doing in the future or what it did in the past. On the other hand our minds have allowed us to have certain freedoms but we need to actually exercise them. There is probably a kind of "human wave function" for all humans, but the general description of it is generally very boring because human behavior is boring and repetitive. What is interesting are the discrepancies... the outliers... those that challenge the norms like Tesla. You can't use that general purpose wavefunction to describe him. He is "special".

However I do not want to describe these matters in metaphysical terms simply because we don't need to. The metaphysicst have their beliefs, and I think scientifically minded people have the experiments. On top of that we also have plausible and quantitative theories. This has made a difference to the well being of mankind. Unfortunately for some, the old certainties are replaced by a changing uncertainty, old truth replaced by an evolving truth, because that is the way things really are. This is uncomfortable. We stand on shifting sands. We are laying aside the "old ways" because they were not sound ways and the "old answers" needed replacement with new answers which are actually better answers, with a greater justification that actually fitted the real nature of the processes in our World with far better descriptions. As Tesla noted, collective human activity was mostly the result of a very structured and strongly knitted social order that reduced the activities of mankind down to the commands of a few very cruel and influential leaders. These processes still happen in the world today. What we do with science, is a brand new behavior, and it's uses are up to us. Tesla chose to serve mankind, while others choose to destroy it. But it always was our choice, I mean the choices of each and every one of us, and we can't blame what happens to us on our Fate, the G*ds or our Rulers.
Good Elf

Postby Lindat123 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you again for reply. I am looking though for an easy to understand explanation of the "phenomenon" and possible ways in which to use it. If all of our actions come from the outside maybe there is a way to input to get desired results.
Lindat123

Postby Good Elf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 am

Lindat123 wrote:Thank you again for reply. I am looking though for an easy to understand explanation of the "phenomenon" and possible ways in which to use it. If all of our actions come from the outside maybe there is a way to input to get desired results.
Of course there is. Not all our actions come from "outside". The "desired results" may not be what we want but more like what we deserve. Or at least the Buddhists might say that. Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

or EGBDF.
Good Elf

Return to Other