Welcome
Welcome to physicsdiscussionforum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

a simple solution for where mass comes from

a simple solution for where mass comes from

Postby fernagin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 am

Now I'm not making a claim, just speaking my mind in hopes of getting some criticism on my thoughts. The higgs theory implies that there is always mass, that the universe could not have no mass if it has matter.But In my thinking and understanding, at one point, the universe with come to a gravitational singularity. at that point, there will be nothing moving relative tof that one singularity. since motion is relative, time would stop. the four fundamental forces would break down one by one. gravity, the weak force, electromagnetic force then finally the strong force. things Henry does not allow for this break down. I think mass is an effect of the electromagnetic force and the strong force. most of the mass is within the nucleus, and the higher proton count, the higher the mass.The repulsive force between the protons in a nucleus coumderacted by the strong force holding them together is what causes mass. this always for the four fundamental forces to breakdown down, and a hot, smooth universe that we believe resembles the bugging of the big bang.
fernagin

Re: a simple solution for where mass comes from

Postby altsci » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:07 am

I came across the question: " What is the Physical Substance Underlying a Force?". The answer is: the force is dP/dt , where P is a linear momentum. That is above the classification: weak, E-M, and strong forces. The energy E and linear momentum P come from the energy-momentum tensor. The E and P constitute a 4-vector, the 4-norm of which (m) is the mass. The equation is: m=sqrt{E^2-P^2}. This is where the mass comes from.
altsci

Re: a simple solution for where mass comes from

Postby wlminex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:59 am

But, doesn't simple momentum = mass x velocity? IMO, "In the beginning" of Big Bang, if we are to believe the Standard Model, there was initially NO mass (i.e., no massive particles) until sometime after initiatiton of the BB event. Assigning momentum to photons, that may have been around at the inception of BB, is begging the issue (assuming photon rest mass?) to fudge the solution. I WILL buy into the idea that at the time of BB (if there was one!) there may have existed 'mass-equivalents' (Note: elsewhere I have referred to such as 'pre-quarkal equivalents')in the form of energy that might then form virtual particle pairs - which ultimately could persist, forming massive particles (and antiparticles).
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
wlminex

Return to Energy and Mass