Welcome
Welcome to physicsdiscussionforum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

New Experimental Challenge to Quantum Theory

New Experimental Challenge to Quantum Theory

Postby sciconoclast » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:00 pm

I have performed a modified double slit experiment that seems to challenge the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory in which light remains as a non- locality and does not form an interference pattern until photons are tested for at the target screen.

In this experiment light from a laser is first split into two separate beams. The beams are then brought back into parallel paths but separated by a shield. At the end of the shield each path goes through a separate slit of a double slit. If the beams pass through at the same elevation there is a double slit pattern. If the beams pass through at different elevations ( a vertical separation of 10mm ), but still converge at the target screen, there is only overlaid single slit patterns. Next mirrors where reconfigured and added to send the separate beams back over the experiment bench to converge at a target behind the laser. This insured that the paths approaching the screen were in the same vertical plane. The results where still the same.

This seems to indicate that the so called interference pattern is generated as the light leaves the double slits or shortly there after rather than at the target screen.
sciconoclast

Re: New Experimental Challenge to Quantum Theory

Postby Farsight » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:17 am

More please, sciconoclast. For myself I'm happy with quantum theory in that light has a quantum nature as per E=hf. But I'm unhappy about "quantum mysticism" wherein people say it's all so weird that you can never understand it. I think we can, and without the Copenhagen Interpretation or the Many-Worlds Interpretation.
Farsight

Postby Skepticalobserver » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Yes, more information please! This is very interesting. I've long felt that the interpretation of the double-slit pattern as resulting from "interference" has not been adequately tested, and would be more logically explained by the possibility that photons are being deflected (diffracted?) at discrete angles. Although it would still require an explanation as to what interaction underlies the "quantal" nature of diffraction (i.e., discrete angles), it would not require quantum mysticism (about which I am also dissatisfied). From what I can gather from the details here, these results would be consistent with that explanation. Hopefully you plan to publish?
Skepticalobserver

Postby industry7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm

What you explained basically made sense to me, but I'm interested in trying to replicate this myself. I've done Young's version of it back when I was in high school. I like that with science anyone can replicate an experiment to verify or disprove a claim, although many times "anyone" means anyone with millions of dollars of lab equipment. Anyway, if you have time, some diagrams would be nice so I can be sure I have the setup right. Thanks for sharing and keep experimenting! :-)
industry7

Postby wlminex » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi . . . I'm the new guy here . . . . I have written and posted on one of my webpages an explanation for "how" I think diffraction is initiated/propogated AT the slit interface. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll provide the webpage link. IMO, diffraction is simply a consequence of beam (photons, electrons, etc.) interaction with the shallow surface atoms of the slit substrate involving energizing of electrons and re-emission of photons from shell electrons, and via a process similar to Bragg diffraction (x-rays).
wlminex

Return to Light and Electromagnetism